TALK STORYIn Hawaii, this simply means taking the time to chat with people.
We invite you to "talk story" with us and share your Maui memories.
Share Your Experience With Us
"With the magnificent Pacific views and elegant Maui condos along the beach, our stay here was magical."
Spring on Maui is a time of festivals celebrating nature’s abundance. One of our favorites is the annual Maui County Agricultural Festival.
The Festival unites farmers, ranchers and agriculture partners and supports to increase awareness of Maui’s natural resources and needs. Together, they put a spotlight on the importance of cultivating Maui’s fertile land responsibly to nurture the people, culture and economy of our island home.
PHOTO: Waipoli Hydroponic Greens with farmer. Photo by Steve Brinkman
Highlights of the Festival:
- Grand Taste Education: Hear from Maui’s farmers and chefs as they talk to you and the community about growing and cooking with locally raised produce, proteins and products. Presented in partnership with Slow Food Maui.
- Victory Farm: Learn about our island crops at this live farm.
- Farm Animals: Learn more about how animals play a vital role in farm management and food production.
- Grown on Maui: It’s a fresh as it gets at this farmers’ market. The farmers will be on hand for you to meet and support. A good opportunity to get gardening tips!
- Food Booths: Plenty of deliciously fresh food to enjoy. Eat local.
- Keiki Activities: Teach kids at an early age the importance of farms and eating healthy with farm games and activities.
- Wellness/Health: Eat healthy, be healthy. Demonstrations on how to prepare fresh foods to maximize nutritional intake.
- Composting: Don’t throw away natural scraps. Learn how to compost and create food for your garden.
- Story Telling: Learn Hawaiian agriculture words and phrases.
PHOTO: Maui Gold Pineapple. Photo by Steve Brinkman
If you are staying in one of our home, villa or condo rentals, we highly recommend stopping by the Festival. It’s the perfect experience to get some fresh produce and proteins to bring back and enjoy in the comforts of your kitchen or outdoor grill.
For our guests staying at Makena Surf, stop by one of the two herb gardens to kick-up the flavors of your picks from the Festival. One is located between building G and F near the pool and the second is located behind the B-building pool.
The Maui County Farm Bureau, the Office of Economic Development and community sponsors host the Maui County Agricultural Festival. Visit the Festival site for more dates, prices and information.
It’s fast approaching – the annual event where you can talk story with the local people who grow the food that ends up on our grocery store shelves, restaurant menus and our very own dinner tables!
Mark your calendar for April 6, 2013 and plan to spend the afternoon on the lush grounds of Maui Tropical Plantation – one of the magical Maui locations that visitors often miss – and bring along the family and your appetite!
Famous Maui chefs will be on-hand to offer cooking tips and techniques, food booths will be set up with a variety of local temptations and there will be plenty of keiki activities to keep the little ones happy!
There will be a wealth of local expertise, with farmers, chefs and others on hand to share tips and information on everything from composting to nutrition.
The fair is open from 9:00am-4:00pm. Admission is free.